Employee Login Login


Connect with us online

History of OGHS

View the History and Timeline of the Opelousas General Hospital System

  • 1950s

    1953

    In 1953, a group of interested citizens formed the Inter-Club Council The main purpose of the Council was to see about the possibilities of obtaining a community hospital for Opelousas. Dan Outlaw was elected the Chairman. After many meetings and much work, it was determined that the Opelousas area had a real need for more general-hospital facilities. Outlaw presented the information to the St. Landry Parish Police Jury. The Jury created the Hospital Service District No. 2 and appointed a Board of five members on July 6, 1953. Sidney Sandoz was named Board Chairman.

    1954

    On, September 21, 1954, the citizens of Opelousas voted to pass a one mill tax for 20 years to pay for part of the Hospital construction; the remainder of the construction costs were supplied by the Federal Government Hill-Burton Funds.

    1955

    The year of 1955 saw the advertisement for bids and construction finally began. A three story building was constructed with the third floor left as a shell for completion at a later date.

    1956

    In 1956, the board entered into a contract with the Sisters of the Marianites of the Holy Cross to manage the new hospital. Sister Madeline Sophie was named the first Hospital Administrator.

    1957

    On May 27, 1957, Opelousas General Hospital opened its doors and received its first patient. At the end of the first month, OGH could boast that it had treated 136 patients and that 27 babies had been born. Succeeding months and years brought an ever-increasing use of the Hospital facilities.

  • 1960s

    1963

    In 1963, the third floor was completed and there was a much needed expansion of obstetrics, surgery, laundry, dietary, lab, business office and storage.

    1966

    In July 1966 the OGH Administration deemed it necessary to participate in the Medicare Program sponsored by the Federal Government.

  • 1970s

    1970

    By 1970, another expansion was critical. A tax was proposed for funding but was turned down by the voters. The Board then looked to other areas for funding.

    1972

    In 1972, the Marianite Sisters voluntarily ended their contract to manage OGH. Daryl Wagley was named Administrator.

    1973

    In March 1973, after creation of the Opelousas General Hospital Authority (A Public Trust) revenue bonds in the amount of $3.2 million were sold to expand the facility.

    1976

    In 1976 with the expansion completed, the hospital became the fourth largest hospital in Acadiana with 155 beds and a seven-bed intensive care unit.

    1977

    In 1977,OGH celebrated its 20th Anniversary.

    1979

    The year 1979 saw the completion of a new Administrative Wing that offered more spacious accommodations for the business office, administration, personnel and conference rooms. OGH signed an agreement to enter into a contract with Hospital Management Professionals (HMP).

  • 1980

    1981

    Tn 1981 several projects were undertaken to improve services for the community. A fifth and sixth floor were completed, increasing the Hospital's capacity to 212 beds. A new main entrance and visitor lobby was built, a 250 car parking lot was opened, and renovations of existing space allowed for the opening of an ICU family waiting room.

    1982

    In 1982, a total renovation of the hospital's obstetrical delivery rooms and new expanded nursery and post-partum area was completed.

    1983

    In 1983, the hospital converted the sixth floor to a 24 bed chemical dependency unit and completed construction on its new Ancillary Wing. The three story wing housed out-patient services and included a 10 room emergency trauma center, home health care services, admit, pharmacy, physical therapy, respiratory, cardiopulmonary services, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, conference room, classrooms and a 250-seat auditorium.

    1984

    The hospital completed renovations to the old admit offices and expanded the DRG department and data processing in 1984. Gary Keller is named Administrator.

    1985

    In 1985, the hospital began remodeling the administrative wing, expanding several departments and began construction of a new medical office complex. Completed in 1986, the new office complex housed the offices of seven physicians, a lab, radiology department and a pharmacy. Board Chairman Sidney Sandoz retired and Wayne Gilmore is named OGH Board Chairman.

    1986

    In 1986, construction was completed on the heliport which is located on the third floor roof of the Ancillary Wing. The heliport was built to accommodate large twin engine helicopters.

    1987

    Remodeling began in 1987 on the Obstetrics and Gynecology wing, expanding the radiology department and construction began on the Community Cancer Center. OGH celebrated its 30th Anniversary. Michael Douthitt is named OGH/CEO. Douthitt resigns and Thomas Honaker III, is named CEO. OGH purchases the Fitness Plus Health Club and renames it the OGH Health & Wellness Center.

    1988

    The new elderly program Life's Champions was introduced in 1988 and OGH began offering MRI scans. OGH also premiers its own medical talk show on OWL TV..

    1989

    In 1989, OGH opened its skilled nursing unit, installed Doppler Imaging, and a State-of-the-art Mammography System.

  • 1990s

    1990

    1990, OGH opened its new pediatrics unit with a Ronald McDonald Room and celebrated the opening of it $3.5 Medical Office Complex. OGH also expanded its health club located on the south side of Opelousas.

    1991

    A new 10-bed intensive care unit was opened in 1991 and OGH initiated its "Heart Smart" menus in area restaurants.

    1992

    In 1992, the Industrial Medicine program began.

    1993

    1993 saw the opening of OGH's first heart catheterization lab with Med Cath, Inc and the board approved construction of a new Women's Health Center and surgery suites. The hospital also started its hyperbaric medicine department and cut the ribbon opening the expansion of the cardiopulmonary rehabilitation unit. Pat Carrier is Named President/CEO.

    1994

    In 1994, OGH opened its rural health clinics in Melville and Palmetto.

    1995

    OGH began renovation to the exterior of the hospital in 1995 and the Health & Wellness Center celebrated the groundbreaking for its expansion.

    1996

    In 1996, the Women's Health Center opened and the hospital acquired a new Echocardiography System.

    1997

    OGH celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 1997 and OGH entered into a contract with Cardiovascular Institute of the South.

    1999

    In 1999, OGH offers Lithotripsy, the Business Office moves to its present location, the After Hours Clinic Opens and OGH's Healthtalk premiers on KATC TV 3. The hospital also installed a new MRI system. Darryl Doise is named President/CEO.

  • 2000s

    2000

    The new inpatient Rehabilitation Center opens in 2000. OGH also installs Digital Mammography, making it one of only 62 worldwide to have this state-of-the-art equipment.

    2001

    In 2001, OGH introduces FastHealth on its website.

    2002

    2002 saw the hospital's first water birth delivery and the opening of the Vein Clinic. William "Bud" Barrow is named President/CEO.

    2003

    Gastric Bypass Surgery is offered in 2003 as well as a new procedure using state-of-the-art technology to prevent amputations and bypass surgery called Peripheral Excimer Laser Angioplasty. OGH announces its name change to Opelousas General Health System and announces its $68 million expansion and renovation plans.

    2004

    In 2004, OGHS and CIS announce plans to open the Heart & Vascular Institute and breaks ground on 6-story medical complex and parking garage.

    2005

    A ribbon cutting was held in 2005 for the newly renovated Wound Treatment Center and OGHS wins Most Wired Award. OGHS installs new bar coding system for dispensing medication to patients and announces renovation of the Cancer Center and the addition of Louisiana Oncology Associates. The OGH Imaging Center in Sunset opens.

    2006

    In 2006, OGHS held a ribbon cutting for the facility's new 6-story medical complex and parking garage. The medical complex is home to a new Emergency Center, admit department, gift shop, cafeteria and cafe, chapel, Heart & Vascular Institute and physician medical offices. Gerald Fornoff is named President/CEO. The OGHS Foundation was formed and the expansion for Cardiopulmonary Rehab completed.

    2007

    OGHS celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2007, Cut the ribbon opening the new Sleep Disorders Center and held a dedication service in the new Healing Garden.

    2008

    In 2008, OGHS was the site of three major film productions highlighting Orthopedic & Spine Surgeon, Dr. George "Ray" Williams, Hitachi's documentary on the OGHS Emergency Center and Schumacher Group, and a comedy/horror movie. The hospital also entered into an $8 million contract with McKesson to upgrade software, the wound treatment center doubled its size, Susan G. Komen awarded OGHS a $50,000 grant and the hospital announced an letter of intent to purchase Doctor's Hospital of Opelousas from Lifepoint.

    2009

    In 2009, the unveiling and ribbon cutting ceremony took place for the opening of our South Campus location, the former Doctor's Hospital. Also in 2009, the campus of OGHS and its affiliates went tobacco free. The Wellness Department was added for employee health.

  • 2010s

    2010

    In 2010, OGHS Board of Trustees selected Gary Keller to serve a third term as President/CEO. Gina Bradley Tuttle was elected Board Chairwoman. OGHS received the Bronze Level Louisiana Hospital Award for implementing quality initiatives directed toward improving patient care in the hospital setting. An innovative new treatment for Blood Clots using isolated pharmacomechanical thrombolysis for rapid, safe and effective removal of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was introduced. The latest advancement in orthopaedic surgery, computer-assisted technology for knee replacement surgery was added. The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons granted a three year accreditation with commendation to the Cancer Program at OGHS. The Cancer program has remained accredited since its inception in 1989. Opelousas General's Pet Imaging Center earned a three year ACR Accreditation.

    2011

    In 2011, OGHS mourned the loss of Wayne Gilmore, Chairman of the Board, who served as a member since 1971. Opelousas General Health System became one of only two hospitals in the state of Louisiana to pilot the Louisiana Health Information Exchange (LaHIE). The Clinical Documentation Improvement Department was implemented. OGHS offers new diagnostic technology for cardiac patients, an instantaneous full-volume imaging system. The Gerald E. Posner Center for Women's Health opened its doors. The Better Business Bureau awarded OGHS with the "Good Neighbor" award for support of local charities.

    2012

    In 2012, Mark E. Marley, President/CEO was selected by the Board of Trustees. Opelousas General welcomed three new physicians to its medical staff. Husband and wife team, Drs. Allison and Jason Hatfield. Dr. Allison Hatfield is a pediatrician and Dr. Jason Hatfield specializes in Family Medicine. Also welcomed was Dr. Gabriela Pichardo-Lafontaine, board certified in Internal Medicine. Opelousas General was selected to participate in Best Fed Beginnings, an unprecedented national effort to increase breastfeeding rates in US hospitals. The daVinci Si Surgical System was introduced. The Better Business Bureau awarded OGHS with the "Ethie Award" for ethical business practices and consistently following the BBB code of advertising guidelines. OGHS acquires new 3-T MRI.

    2013

    In 2013, OGHS offers pediatric therapy services at our South Campus location. Mary Doucet joined the OGHS Board of Trustees. Mayor Donald Cravins designated August as National Breastfeeding Month in the city of Opelousas. The first annual Community Baby Shower was held. OGHS won "Path to Excellence" Award from the National Research Corporation. This award was given to OGHS for the dedication to improving patient experiences. OGHS and CIS hosted a "Total Occlusion Course" in the Cath Lab. Physicians from California, Texas and Northern Louisiana attended this training in an effort to gain knowledge on treating their patients with peripheral vascular disease. OGHS welcomed Dr. Elizabeth Collins, Family Medicine to the OGHS medical staff.

    2014

    In 2014, OGHS and CIS were among the first in the state and country to use the Diamonback 360 Coronary Orbital Atherectomy System. This technology offers evidence-based, safe treatment approved by the FDA for severely calcified coronary lesions. The Louisiana Hospital Association recognized OGHS Employees in the "Geaux Lite" weight loss challenge. OGHS welcomed Dr. Jamie Collins, Family Medicine, to our medical staff. OGHS received "Most Wired" designation and "Path to Excellence" award from the National Research Corporation. March of Dimes and the Louisiana Hospital Association recognized OGHS for their efforts in reducing the number of elective inductions and cesarean deliveries performed before 39 weeks of pregnancy. Dr. Hunt DeBlanc was inducted as the new "Chief of Staff". OGHS received certification of the Cardiovascular/Pulmonary rehabilitation program by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). OGHS and CIS are the first in the state to utilize "Chocolate Balloon", for treating complex blockages in both the heart and leg arteries. OGHS welcomed Dr.Jamie Collins, Family Medicine to the medical staff.

    2015

    In 2015, a collaborative agreement involving Lafayette General Health and Opelousas General Health System became effective January 1, 2015. OGHS is designated as a "Baby Friendly" hospital by the United Nations Children's Fund and the World Health Organization. OGHS earned "The Gift" award by the Bureau of Family Health-Office of Public Health-Department of Health and Hospitals for improving hospital practices and policies that are aligned with evidence-based internationally recognized Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding of the Baby-Friendly Hospital initiative. OGHS selects Kenneth J. Cochran as the new President/CEO effective July 1, 2015. OGHS Wound Treatment Center is the first in the state to offer "Cellutome". OGHS welcomes Dr. Chat Rossitter, interventional nephrologist, Dr. Kris Lindsay, cardiologist and Dr. Deborah Johnson, Oncologist/Hematologist to the medical staff. OGHS Exceeds national best practices for Cardiac Stinting (PCI) procedures.

    2016

    In 2016 OGHS welcomed Dr. Lori Gautreaux, Internal Medicine, Dr. Andrew Sicard, General Surgeon, Dr. Tiffany Liu, Neurologist, Dr. Ashwin Jaikishen, Nephrologist and Dr. Supraja Yeturi, Rheumatologist to the OGHS medical staff. OGHS Foundation celebrates 10th year of providing scholarships. OGHS and CIS held first live case broadcast of a coronary atherectomy hosted by Dr. Robert Menuet. OGHS acquired the daVinci Xi Surgical System, an upgrade from the previous Si System. OGHS initiated a low-cost health screenings program.

    2017

    In 2017 OGHS began plans for year-long 60th anniversary celebrations. In January, Dr. Ann Chauffe, Rheumatologist was welcomed to the medical staff. In March, a commemorative flag raising ceremony was held to celebrate the 60th anniversary. OGHS celebrated the 10th year of providing a free community health fair.

Learn More About OGHS

View More