2017 marks the 60th anniversary of the opening of Opelousas General Hospital. Sister Madeline Sophie and the Sisters of Marianites of Holy Cross dedicated and opened the doors to the hospital on May 29, 1957. 60 years later, Opelousas General Health System continues to uphold the mission of providing the highest quality of care available with a caring, compassionate spirit. This has been accomplished through the dedication and commitment from our board of trustees, physicians, employees and volunteers.
In celebration of the 60th anniversary of Opelousas General Health System, two flag raising ceremonies were scheduled on Wednesday, March 15,
Beginning at 9:00 a.m., OGHS Main Campus held a flag raising ceremony lead by Dr. Kenneth, Cochran, President and CEO of Opelousas General Health System. Accompanying Dr. Cochran on the agenda was Gina Bradley Tuttle, Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Dr. Hunt Deblanc, Chief of Staff.
At 10:30 a.m., OGHS South Campus held a second flag raising ceremony also lead by Dr. Kenneth Cochran. Comments from Dr. Charles Bertrand, pediatrician and Dr. Richard Harmon, past chief of staff were also shared.
Special guests in attendance were: Nettie Richards Bruno, the first patinet, Darryl Wagley, Hospital Administrator from 1972-1984. Betty Soileau, current and original employee, Doug Sandoz and Melanie Barousse, children of first Chairman of the Board, Sidney Sandoz and Carla Schultz and Cheryl Gilmore, daughters of former chairman of the Board Wayne Giomore.
Both flags will serve as a reminder to our community of the dedication and commitment we uphold of serving our patients with the highest level of quality care.